Saturday, November 3, 2007

Choosing server platform.

Actually, I spent pretty of time thinking about what platform to choose for the game server. I'm quite good in C#, but it is strongly chained to x86 and MS Windows. Now I'm getting started with Python, but its more "Starting" than "getting", heh.
Surfing internet I found Mono. Mono is an open-source project providing the necessary software to develop and run .NET client and server applications on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows, and Unix. It seemed to be much acceptable solution for my project. After digging it for a couple of hours, I wrote some "Hello world" program and discovered that Mono allows me to use almost all features of .NET Framework 1.1 and it's still under development extending it's functionality every day. So, now I'm able to code in my favourite language and still have my server-part platform independent. That's all for now. Later I'll post my considerations about server architecture.
More information about Mono you may find at their website.

No comments: